How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter of 20 years 5 months living in New York

Customer Question

I have a daughter of 20 years 5 months living in New York with her mother, while I'm non- custodial .She graduated from High School last year June, ( 2014 ) and learn a trade called cosmetology saloon and she graduated this year April ( 2015 ) I'm living in Washington DC. What can I do to terminate the payment of child support, more so , I have been granted an absolute Divorce on her mother since year 2013.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
In New York State, a child is entitled to be supported by his or her parents until the age of 21.
If the child is under 21 years of age, and is married, or self-supporting, or in the military, the child is considered to be "emancipated" and the parents' support obligation ends.
So, if the child is self-supporting, then a Petition to Terminate Child Support would have to be filed with the family court that has ordered child support payments and the court will review the petition and if the court approves it, the child support termination order would be issued by the court.
I wish you the best of luck!