Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I married a British citizen in 1997. She held a card and is

Customer Question
I married a British citizen...
I married a British citizen in 1997. She held a green card and is a permanent resident. In 2012 we separated and divorce was final in April 2015. I have been paying spousal support since June 2012. She left the USA in may 2014 and has not returned to the USA. Can I petition to stop alimony payments if she has given up her legal permanent residency? It's my understanding of the law that I am entitled to request termination of spousal support based on this fact coupled with the probability that she may not have filed income taxes on the spousal support she was paid. What are my rights? Richard
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/9/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. In CA, alimony may be "revisited" if there is a SUBSTANTIAL CHANGE. Specifically giving up lawful residence by itself is stated, but this does work to one's advantage.
First, see here. Scroll down to "Modification Of Spousal Support Orders" and "Termination Of Spousal Support Orders."
EITHER/BOTH may be argued in a petition to MODIFY alimony, and hopefully the Court would simply drop it. Also, since she is in UK, she may be at a disadvantage to appear in court, making this much more probable that the Court would rule in one's favor.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law