Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Would allowing your 15 year old daughter to drive across

Customer Question
state lines (NM to TX)...
Would allowing your 15 year old daughter to drive across state lines (NM to TX) alone without permit or insurance be child endangerment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/8/2015
Family Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

There are several reasons this, from a legal perspective, is not a good idea. First off, it is not child endangerment. Under Texas law, the child must be under 15 to qualify for child endangerment (see the statute here: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/5/22/22.041

However, if the child is in a wreck you could be personally liable for the damages. Also, you could be a party to the offense of driving without a license, which is a class B misdemeanor.

I think allowing your daughter to do so is putting you (and her) in a great deal of legal jeopardy.

Actually, Im in Fl and my wife is having my daughter do this drive currently. She is not answering my calls and I am a little concerned.

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. I think criminal charges are not likely given the statute, but there is the potential for tons of civil liability if she were to get in a wreck.

Thank you

Glad to help. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Do you have any additional questions?

Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer