Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I have two grandchildren: My grand-daughter,, is six years

Customer Question

I have two grandchildren: My grand-daughter, Taylor, is six years old and my grandson, Jacob, is three, almost four, years old. The last time I saw them was June 6. They live with my son and daughter-in-law in Towson, Maryland. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland. The reason they do not allow me to see my grandchildren anymore is because my son thinks that I stole money from my mom who is 81. I did not steal or take any money from her. I moved money from her savings to her checking account because I handle her finances. My mom told my son that I took money from her account. I have tried in vain to explain that I did not but he does not believe me. I believe I have a right to still see my grandchildren, however. What do you think are my chances of seeing them since I have never done anything to harm them? My son tried to have the Baltimore County police arrest me but they would not because I did nothing wrong.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Under Maryland law, grandparents may have court ordered visitation under a few circumstances, one of which is when the parents of the child deny visitation altogether, as has happened here. This gives you the legal authority to file a petition for visitation, but does not guarantee that it will be granted. Once the petition is filed, the judge will look at a set of factors (below) and determine what's in the best interest of the child. The factors are as follows:

• The wishes and preferences of the child (assuming they have the capacity to assert them)
  • The needs of the child, as well as what visitation plan, if any, is best suited to meet those needs
  • The past and present relationship the child has with their grandparent(s)
  • Whether visitation would impact the child's ability to focus on school and extracurricular activities
  • The emotional and physical health of both the child and the grandparent(s)

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I'll have to think about what you said. I'm pretty upset right now about the whole thing. You did a great job with the information you supplied me so far
Glad to help. If I can't do anything else please rate my answer before you go.