How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34532
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 16 years old friend whose father has abandoned

Customer Question

We have a 16 years old friend whose father has abandoned her. She does not want to go into foster care and would like to live with us and go to school. I do not have formal custody. Is it possible to get her into school with DFS involved
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question
For you to enroll her, you will need to have custody in some manner.
One way to accomplish this would be to have the court appoint you as "guardian" of the child.
The court would grant guardianship, to you, if you can demonstrate that this would be best for the child.
There are a few ways to approach this.
One would be to go to DFS and request they assist you. They have lawyers on staff who can file the request to the court. OR, if DFS does not support this, you could hire an attorney and have them prepare and present this request to the court.
What you are describing? Sounds like you have a good chance, if the child wants to live with you and you can provide a safe home ? I would expect the court to grant the request.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.