Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I just found out my ex girfriend gave birth to a baby,1 1/2

Customer Question

I just found out my ex girfriend gave birth to a baby,1 1/2 weeks ago. she also gave the child to adoptive parents. I am almost certain the baby is mine because we lived together 9 months ago. I was never notified about any of this. I need to establish paternity. Isd my ex breaking the law by doing this behind my back? What do I do ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I just found out my ex girfriend gave birth to a baby,1 1/2 weeks ago. she also gave the child to adoptive parents. I am almost certain the baby is mine because we lived together 9 months ago. I was never notified about any of this. I need to establish paternity. Isd my ex breaking the law by doing this behind my back?
Response 1: Yes.
What do I do ?
Response 2: Get a local family law Attorney to file complaint for establishment of paternity and request for custody of the child and file Emergency Motion to stop the adoption process. This would be a complex litigation and it is prudent to have an Attorney on your side. However, if you wish to proceed without an Attorney, you can use the Courts Self-help Center to familiarize yourself with the Court system, download forms and instructions. Click on the link below for more information:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-parentage.htm