How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What papers do I need to obtain custody niece and nephew. I

Customer Question

What papers do I need to obtain custody for my niece and nephew. I live in Ohio and they live in Illinos.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Could you explain your situation a little further? Why are you seeking custody? Are the parents willing to sign over custody to you? Are the children in danger?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My neice and nephew we taking from their parents without any consent. My brother oldest daughter to them to Illnois. The parents have no rights because the oldest daughter told the court lies on them about abusing them. Although the parents do have records as well as the daughter they wont get custody. I feel the children are in a unstable enviroment and I can support them in all ways. My brother is a dying man and all he wants is for his children to be in a peaceful enviroment. And that I can do for him.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

If they were taken without consent of the people with legal custody, then the first thing you need to do is call the police and report a kidnapping. Second, you can file a motion for emergency custody in Ohio, as you will see here:

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Once you do that, the court can set an emergency hearing to give you custody.

Also, you should call Child Protective Services in Ohio.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I just found out and they gave the daughter temp custody in June. I feel like Im stuck. The next court date is on Monday 8/10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not satisfied with my answer by I do have to go, morning comes around to early. What do I nee to do to continue our conversation tomorrow evening? I already paid an amount and I have to conserve for traveling to court.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

If your daughter has legal custody, you still have to be able to prove that the children are in danger to get them. If they aren't, then there would be no reason for a judge to disturb the current custody arrangement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has cancer as well, I feel if she goes, then the children will be left to her wife. That's is another reason I want to take custody.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

At this point, however, it doesn't appear as though there is an emergency situation. It may be smart for her to leave you custody of the children if she passes, but to get an emergency order, the children must be in immediate danger.