How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My X-Husband is now deceased. It's been 2 years, I thought I

Customer Question

My X-Husband is now deceased. It's been 2 years, I thought I couldn't receive my back child supports that was at $27,000 2 years ago. I do have a case number ***** 89 D 255.
That's all I have left to go on. Social Security told my daughter I can still collect. But, every time I call, I CAN"T get thru. Can You help me?
Father: James Gunnard Peterson (noncustonial parent) I need to find his SS#
Mother: Margaret Ellen Peterson###-##-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 2 years ago.

If your daughter was under age 18 at the time of the death, she is entitled to survivor benefits until age 18. See the information here This is not child support.

If your ex had assets when he died you are entitled to have the unpaid support paid from his estate assets, but i would have to check the law of the state of his residence at death to determine if too much time has passed in order to make a claim against his estate. Did he have any property or bank accounts at death? Was his estate probated - did anyone start a court case to distribute his assets?