Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I was in a relationship. we lived together, she was the

Customer Question

i was in a relationship for 15yrs. we lived together for ten, she was the breadwinner and is still in the house, she said she bought for us. upon our breakup i was given the cars we owned and and i worked on continuosly plus some cash. i feel i contributed to the success she enjoys today and wonder do i have any recourse as far as palimony is concerned?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Did you have any type of written contract for support with your former partner in case of a split or any other promises of support after breakup that can be proven in court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have emails asking if i want the car or if i was coming to pick it up?

Thank you for your follow up.

Does the car still belong to your ex-partner?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did sign some paper work, it was some time ago. i recently spoke to her and she claims she doesnt know where they sre?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my friend sold it after putting the car in his wifes name.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry. that'd be no. she sig
ned it over to him for 0 dollars.

Thank you for your follow up.

While in California, palimony can be awarded if the former partner can show that there was a written or implied contract for support after a breakup, however, it is extremely difficult to prove such agreement, without having an actual written agreement for support, so generally, without a written agreement for support / palimony, such palimony is very rarely awarded by the courts.

Also, an offer or an intent to gift a vehicle, unless the gift is actually made, would not be considered and implied agreement and would generally not be legally enforceable.

I am sorry to give you bad news and wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got it. thank u
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
R