Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son will be 18 in 1 month he has graduated gh School and

Customer Question

My son will be 18 in 1 month he has graduated High School and is going to college here in Louisiana. My child support payments have always came out of my paycheck from work. What do I have to do to stop the Garnishments. Louisiana
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Normally, a child support order should terminate automatically. In LA, this terminates at 18, or end of high school, or 19 - whichever first. So here, it should terminate.
However sometimes, it does not terminate automatically. If so, then one has to file a motion in the Court, asking for the termination and serve the other party and DCFS if it is was involved in any way or is involved in the garnishment. Once this happens, the Court will hold a quick hearing and should order the termination of said support.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.