How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in NC. Our nearly 17 year old adopted son has been

Customer Question

We live in NC. Our nearly 17 year old adopted son has been in counseling for years and this summer has been a time of much greater disruption to the family by him. We have determined, with the help of his counselor, and a close family friend that has known him for many years, that it would be best for his siblings if he would live with the family friend for the upcoming year. We would stay in his life, and pay for his expenses, but while he figures things out, he would not be negatively impacting his siblings and the family.
This family friend lives in the same county, but a different school district. (Based on the circumstances, him being in a different school than his sister is a necessity.) What legal rights will we need to give her to get him registered in this new school? And what is the best way to do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Generally, a temporary guardianship petition would have to be filed in the local court and the court will review such petition and if the judge approves it, then temporary legal guardianship would be given for the minor child by the court and once the temporary guardianship is obtained the child can legally reside with the family friend and could be enrolled in the local school.
I wish you the best of luck!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.