How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mkc1959 Your Own Question
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 616
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mkc1959 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I did not challenge paternity of a child at the time the

Customer Question

If I did not challenge paternity of a child at the time the fraud happened, am I liable to pay support for the child? The mother knows exactly who the child’s blood father is, but she came after me for child support- even though she signed a document saying that I was no longer required to pay support for the child. The document was not notarized, but it has a witness signature. My name is ***** ***** child’s birth certificate as the father. We divorced and there is a court order to pay child support in the state of Georgia. So right now some of my wages are being garnished for current/past due child support. Is there anything I can do to fight this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 2 years ago.

In most states, you would have little or no chance of terminating the child support. However in Georgia, there is a law that may allow you to terminate the child support. The law has very strict requirements and you should consult a local attorney in your area about this. Depending on the facts, it may be discretionary with the court to terminate the child support or not. I would certainly encourage you to consult with a local attorney in your area. Please let me know what additional questions you may have. I want to fully respond to your question so that I may be paid.