mkc1959
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

I am an American interested in adoping two children (brother

Customer Question

I am an American interested in adoping two children (brother and sister both orphans)... I have been helping them with $ for food and send them regular care package. They are living very hard lives in a village near Banjul. I want to bring them to US to get an education and a better life...but i don't know how to go about it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 2 years ago.

The Gambia has very restrictive adoption laws.

Eligibility Requirements for adoptive Parents: Adoptions by non-Gambian prospective adoptive parents are allowed only in exceptional circumstances. Adoptive parent(s) can be single or a married couple. The adoptive parent(s) must be at least 21 years old and at least 15 years older than the child, but not over age 60. The spouse of an applicant must also consent to the adoption. Single men may not adopt a female child, nor may single women adopt a male child. The adoptive parent(s) must have fostered the child for a period of at least thirty-six months under the supervision of a Social Welfare Officer. Non-Gambian nationals must have residency in The Gambia for at least six months, have no criminal record, and prove economic resources to support the child.

ResidenCY Requirements: Non-Gambians are required to be resident for at least six months in The Gambia. Prospective adoptive parents must foster the child for a minimum of thirty-six months under the supervision of a Social Welfare Officer. According to the Department of Social Welfare, the 36 months does not have to take place in The Gambia, but must occur under the supervision of a qualified social welfare agency in the place of residence.

Since their newest Adoption laws were passed, it is my understanding that only one adoption by a non-citizen has been approved. The newest law was passed in 2006, I believe. So unfortunately the adoption of the children may not be possible and in any event would require you to reside in Gambia for a minimum of 6 months. Please let me know if you have additional questions. I want to be certain I have responded appropriately to your question so that I may be paid.