How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Seperated since may 2013. paying spousal support to husband

Customer Question

seperated since may 2013. paying spousal support to husband since august 2013. offered him the house back then...would not sign...just keeps putting it off...went after 1/2 the house...he came back and wants half my pension...may 2015 decided to file a divorce master but then changed my mind after meeting with husband who said he will sign as soon as he gets approval to refinance the house. This conversation took place middle of June 2015. now he says that he is waiting for appraisal for 6 weeks. i dont know what to do at this point. i have paid over 5000 to my lawyer and feel that it has been for nothing. my husband has not maintained the house inside or outside. He is basically a hoarder and the house is now in terrible shape. is there anything i can do other than filing a divorce master that costs thousands and my understanding it still does not get things resolved very easily.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to state that since he has not signed and is making this more difficult than it should be, the only recourse you have legally is to file for divorce and to ask the court as part of the divorce for temporary possession of the home, based on damages and failure to maintain, and for an order to sell the home.
As part of the divorce, you can also file to stop spousal support and also for a larger share of the marital assets based on you incurring expenses to fix the house to sell or for the damage done to the house.
Unfortunately though, I am afraid that just what you want to avoid is what is legally your only option at this point based on his conduct. You cannot get sucked in by his lies again if he tries to get you to drop the divorce, because he is just doing that to drag this out and keep your gravy train rolling.