How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27056
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just got in a fight with a ex GF, I've been letting her stay

Customer Question

Just got in a fight with a ex GF, I've been letting her stay here for a bit. But now she's trying to kick me out of my own place. I live in CA.. We both have bruises on our faces.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I hate to say this but first one to the police will generally get to be the victim and to not have to leave the house.
How is she trying to kick you out of your own place?
What is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's saying I need to leave or I'll call the cops sort of thing, since I'm on probation. Should I call the police?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
If she calls the police you're going to get arrested and violated on probation.
If you contact the police, you both do have injuries, but if hers were caused in self-defense, you may not get arrested along with her, and you'll have a better chance of getting to stay in the house.
If this just happened, I'd go to the police and report it in person so that they see the injuries. Let them know that you are on probation and need a protective order because you don't want to violate your probation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll go down there right now, I'll update you.. Thank you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Good luck. It's tricky because she's got injuries too. On the other hand, if she gets the protective order and you don't get to have one, she WILL get to stay in the house for as long as the case against you lasts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They're closed today...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Really? No police around?
Forgive my surprise. I live in NYC and we can report a crime 24/7.
Maybe you can work this out with your ex and nobody needs to go anywhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The office front is closed, I'm assuming I need to call non emergency dispatch.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Probably so. Again, good luck.

Related Family Law Questions