Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister's ex-husband, who was convicted of a felony

Customer Question
"Domestic Battery or Assault Enhancement-In...
My sister's ex-husband, who was convicted of a felony "Domestic Battery or Assault Enhancement-In The Presence of a Child"
and a Misdemeanor "Injury To Child" and is on 10 years suspended probation is trying to get custody of their children who my
sister has full and sole custody of at this time. He is in Idaho and she is in Florida. He did not know her home address so he
hired a private investigator to find her so that he could have her served. He may have violated some law or order specific
to this case, I don't know, and for me to ask you you may need more info on the case itself.
BUT in the process of finding my sister the PI parked in front of MY house and Church and watched my wife and son, and I
in order to see if my sister would show up so that he could serve her. I want to know if the PI violated some law here in Florida
in that regard AND I want to know if the ex-husband violated some stalking law or other law by having ME watched.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2015
Family Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Hiring a PI to watch anyone is not against the law so long as the PI acts in a lawful manner. That means that he can't come on your private property and he can't harass you. Harassment, in the legal sense, means that he's doing something with the intent of causing alarm or fear in you. Simply looking at you or even following you around public places would not rise to the level of harassment. In short, nothing you've described thus far is illegal. There is no legal mechanism to prevent someone from watching another person on public property, assuming that's as far as it goes.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.