Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I have a question about alimony in a case where the wife is

Customer Question

I have a question about alimony in a case where the wife is working and making a lot of money, but has a serious illness that will cause her to be disabled within 2 years. Is it likely the husband will have to pay alimony in the case of a divorce? The husband makes more money than the wife.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Alimony is based on a few factors, including income but also length of marriage. How long have the parties been married to one another?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
22 years married. Both husband and wife make good money. Husband makes two times what wife does. Wife has serious illness for 7 years now. Wife will be forced to stop working within 2 years and go on disability. If divorcing now, is wife likely to get alimony?

Right now, wife is very likely to obtain alimony. She can demand anywhere from 15% to 30% of the difference in their wages. Since the marriage is likely seen as a long-term marriage, she can even try for lifetime alimony although that is generally granted for marriages of 25 years or longer in duration--she can likely demand it from 50% to 75% of the length of the marriage, however.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.