Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I inherited a house some years ago in the State of Florida,

now I am divorcing my...
I inherited a house some years ago in the State of Florida, now I am divorcing my wife, does she has any rights to this house?
Thank you.
8/1/2015
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

No, the inherited house would not be subject to the equitable distribution laws since only marital property can be distributed. However, inherited property is not marital property, except in cases where you purposely turn it into marital property. For example, you can purposely designate the house as marital property. Or you could put your wife on the title to the house. Or perhaps if you lived in the house as the marital house, then she would have an argument. But in general, it would not be considered marital property, and would not be subject to distribution in a divorce.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you!

I wanted to be sure about this.
Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I wish you the best!

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney