Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Need marriage certicate security benefits but got

Customer Question

Need marriage certicate for social security benefits but got married in Mexico my spouse is deceased I hav e my other documents needed for benefits but was married in 1992 cannot locate almost like impossible
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In your instance, you will have to call the Mexican Consulate I am afraid or you would have to go through the local clerk in the Mexican state you were in when you were married, because the marriage documents were supposed to be registered with the clerk in the city where you were married.
If they cannot locate it, you are going to have to put all of your evidence together and go to a US court to seek a court order declaring that you were married and the certificate is hopelessly irretrievable (meaning you have to show proof you went to the consulate and the clerk in Mexico where the certificate should have been filed and they have to verify it could not be located).
I am afraid that the Mexican records systems are not as good as they are in the US and even in the US many small town clerks cannot find marriage certificates and the court process has to be used as well to prove a marriage and date of the marriage. However, this is the only remaining recourse if calling (not online) the Mexican Consulate and also contacting the local civil clerk in the Mexican city where you were married cannot locate the record.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you just wish there was a easier way if I wasn't married why do I have my divorce ppers
Thank you for your reply.
I understand your position, logically the divorce should contain proof of the marriage and if you produced a marriage certificate during the divorce proceeding, which you should have been required to do, then the copy of the certificate should be in the court records where you filed for divorce. If not it is the complex process I described above to get what you need I am afraid.