How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband has been paying child support although my

Customer Question

My ex husband has been paying child support although my children are 20 and 23. Today he suddenly stopped without warning. Do I have any recourse
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
California law only requires that child support be paid until the child turns 18, unless they're still in high school. So, you typically would not be entitled to any child support for a 20 and 23-year-old unless (a) he's got some past due amounts that he's been paying on, or (b) the court order requires him to continue contributing.
The first step is to review your court order and see what it says. If it requires contribution toward college or payment beyond age 18, then you have the ability to file an Order to Show Cause and ask the judge to force him to start paying again. Or if he's in arrears, you can also file an Order to Show Cause for that reason. If he was simply paying voluntarily, I'm sorry to say, there's no recourse when he stops.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions