How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27624
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you have given more support then required by law can you

Customer Question

If you have given more support then required by law can you ask the judge to take into consideration when reinstating the child support?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. Can you share with me the issue with the reinstate of support and what is being sought and asked for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The reinstatement is for child support that ended 6/30/2015. It is being reinstated because the child in question is only seventeen and not yet graduated from high school. Futhermore, this judgment was in error and I have no problem with paying but I have in previous times given my ex spouse more than was ordered. And I was wondering if the judge would take that into consideration if I have all documentation proving that I gave her more. And this paperwork was given to child support services at the time they began to garnish my wages.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am sorry to say but it is not likely the Judge would give credit for the additional money paid. The reason I say this is because that was voluntarily done and at your sole discretion and was not ordered by the court. Yes, it is fantastic that you did this to help the child BUT could not come back now and say you do not owe the continued support because you gave more then you had to, previously.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions