How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The orginal order support ended in 6/2015. The child

Customer Question

The orginal order for child support ended in 6/2015. The child in question is seventeen. He will turn eighteen in February. The final paperwork was singed off by all parties seven years ago, include in the judge. All parties were of sound mind. The error was noted by my ex. Can a change happen even if all paperwork states case is closed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, a change can indeed happen. No child support order is 100% set in stone--if there are changes in employment or in income changes or amendments to the support can take place. Likewise, if there is an error with the order, such as listing it to end when the child is still not a legal adult, the courts can most definitely amend and extend the support until the child is 18 or graduated from high school, whichever is LATER. It does not matter if the parties were of sound mind, the right to pursue support is not the parental right but an obligation on behalf of the child--and no parent can sign off the right to seek support, sound mind or no, if the child is still eligible to receive it. Sincerely, ***** *****