How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

During the divorce the father was unemployed, the judge ordered

Customer Question

during the divorce the father was unemployed, the judge ordered $300. a month child support. Now the father makes $800.00 a week. My daughter is on medicaid. Can I ask for more child support now? I was told if I received more child support, the government would take it for repayment of medicaid. Is this true?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.A child support modification can be filed with the court that issued the current order if there is a significant change in finances. And yes, if you received any type of state assistance such as medicaid, the state can request that money be repaid depending on your new financial circumstances with an increase in child support. If you ever received public assistance, your case record may show there is money owed to the state. Any payment of support may be withheld to repay the state.If that happens, you can pay online at this LINK