Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughter is 20 and been married years. she did not

Customer Question
my daughter is 20 and...
my daughter is 20 and been married for 2 years. she did not complete high school after dropping out at 15. she did go back a year ago and get her GED. she is now trying to enforce college support which was part of our divorce 19 years ago in TN. do i have to pay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/29/2015
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. What, specifically, did your divorce decree / agreement say in regards ***** ***** issue of college support?

it only says i will pay for it. no details or anything

Thank you. There's no legal requirement for a parent to provide any type of college support in Tennessee, so as such, anything that is given is going to be gratuitous in nature (freely given) and enforced according to contractual principles. In short, what that means is that either she or the other parent can enforce this divorce decree, either directly or as a "third-party beneficiary". Generally any limitations or exclusions will have to be included as part of that, otherwise she could still go after college support. This is even in situation where she is married and no longer dependent on you or the other parent, or where she had dropped out and later received her GED. If she were to take you to court for college expenses, the judge would look at this and would like to see if there are any exclusions or limitations on this gratuitous gift. It does not appear that there are any "again, such as her being married or otherwise emancipated) and as such an unconditional promise to pay college support will not be defeated by her age, her previous dropping out of high school, or her marital status. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Was there anything else?
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer