How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two grandchildren, ages 8 and 4 , that i care

Customer Question

I have two grandchildren, ages 8 and 4 , that i care for in my home. I registered both in school, but was told their mother can pull them out at any time. These kids were abandoned 2/19/2014. Their mother has not seen,spoken, or made any kind of contact with them in all this time .I am concerned about her pulling the kids out of school and disappearing. I do not know of her whereabouts or how to get in touch with her.I DO HAVE A NOTARIZED letter from their father awarding me temporary custody until he is able to care for them. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to stop the mother from being able to do anything with the children, if the father is agreeing to your custody, you need to go to court and file a petition for guardianship. Once you are named legal guardian by the court, the court would order that the mother has no rights unless the court grants them to her and she would have to go to the court to try to take the children from you.
So what you need to do is get a local attorney and file the petition for custody in court. The courts mandate an attorney be involved because they want to protect the rights of the children and also make sure that all efforts that are legally required to be made to serve the mother are exhausted so she cannot later come back to try to invalidate your guardianship based on not giving proper notice.