Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in the state of Pa, we are currently seperated and have

Customer Question
50/50 legal and physical custody...
I live in the state of Pa, we are currently seperated and have 50/50 legal and physical custody of kids. I want to move the kids to a new school district where my primary residence is now. I am the only one with a job since she refuses to work. She does have another older child in the current school district that she has 100 custody of. She is refusing to hear my reasoning for the transfer of school districts, but it is black and white on the education presedence of the new school plus there are more than 10x the after school activities She makes mention of her other child and it affect her situation for the ability to see him participate, all while the others have not had the opt for any after school activities due to the other child. Also with the kids changing schools they would be closer to grandparents and great grandparents on both sides, all live in the new school district. What options do i have with the court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/28/2015
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.
After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number in the box entitled "Enter private contact info"? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Just an email response will suffice for now
You have only one option with the court. I'll explain.
Because you share joint legal custody, that means that each of you have a say in major life decisions for your children. The choice of schools is deemed one of those decisions, right along with what religion to attend and whether to participate in inherently dangerous sports or other activities. One of you cannot just make a decision on your own---the other parent must be consulted.
Given that your ex is not willing to do what is best for your child you will have to petition the court for a Modification of Custody and seek an order allowing you to transfer your children to the school district where you presently reside.
You have a good argument for the change and will be able to show that with all the benefits of the new school your children's best interests will be served---unlike their present school where they are there primarily for the convenience of the mother and their step-sibling.
Please remember to rate my service to you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law