How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and the father of her son reside in Larimer County,

Customer Question

My daughter and the father of her son reside in Larimer County, Colorado. CPS has gotten involved due to my daughter being arrested for possession of a felony substance. She has not been officially charged, however when she was arrested it was brought to the attention of the Police Department that she had a 3 year old son. CPS was contacted immediately. From what I understand, CPS did a well check where my Grandson was residing. My daughter was advised at that time, by CPS, that she would only be able to see her son with supervised visits. My grandson remained in the home. This was in May 2015. My daughter is fighting the charges. However, CPS in CO, has gotten more involved with this case. My husband and I have both talked with the case worker about the possibility of having our grandson move out here with us. It would not be a financial burden. The CPS case worker stated that she would need to have both parents be in agreement. Yesterday, during a phone call with the CPS case worker, the other grandmother, and the Facilitator for the meeting. I mentioned that we have obtained a licensed child care facility and that I had talked to my supervisor about adjusting my hours to take my grandson to day care and pick him up, the request was approved. I then heard, from either the case worker or the facilitator to the other grandmother, “Can you get a babysitter?” The case worker then stated that the father did not want to talk, nor make any decisions during the meeting. On a break, I phoned my daughter to let her know that I do not want to pressure her, that I want what’s best for everyone concerned. My daughter and the father of my grandson both said, “We want our son with you and Dad.” I said that if they are that animate about it, both of you need to let the case worker no. My daughter went back into the conference and I was still on the phone. I heard her tell the case worker that my son’s father and I want our son to be with our parents. The case worker came back and said no, we will discuss it next Wednesday on 8/5/15 at 4:00pm MDT. She also told her to hang up the phone NOW. I was also informed that the other grandmother is having a discussion with the CPS case worker today. I’m at a loss. I really feel that this is being set-up to give primary custody to the other Grandmother. Is there any way you can help me? I did have a thought of calling CPS here in NV to have them come to the house and do a background on my husband and I to send to the CPS case worker in CO. We will be paying for our grandson’s registration for day care so he has a spot. I just feel that no matter what my husband and I do, at the wishes of both parents, nothing will be done. I really need advice. Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I suggest you are on the right track and that you call your local CPS and request they do the background check. Have them forward it to the case worker. i suggest that you also tell the case worker what you have requested and to expect the report. I suggest, that NV can do the environment and background check without the permission of the CO case worker, but they do not like to step on toes, so to speak. So NV CPS may balk. I suggest that you will want to provide a detailed plan for when the child will be in day care and when not. This could come down to keeping the child in the same state, as well as whether the other grandparents do not need to place the child in day care. Those are two factors I suggest are being considered. I also suggest that you try not to take this personally. The CPS case workers should function as a team to ensure the child is placed in the proper environment that is going to benefit the child. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you