How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I HAVE A FAMILY LAW QUESTION, I live in Massachusetts, are

Customer Question

I HAVE A FAMILY LAW QUESTION, I live in Massachusetts, are you a USA Attorney?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in Massachusetts. I have three kids. I AM MARRIED. I have two biological children and one adopted from foster care. The adopted child, got into a lot of trouble, stealing, drinking, sexting many many girls, bad grades... My other two kids are doing fantastic, well adjusted, popular, respectful, perfect grades. The adopted child went to live with my sister after an incident ...he tried to poison his father because we took away his electronics. My sister is a lawyer. I had told her nothing of my problems with my adopted child before this incident. She does not believe he got into any trouble or misbehaved. She is saying we fabricated all the events of the past four years. Crazy, I know. I have good life in a nice neighborhood in a newly built home. Why would I throw my life into turmoil unless bad things happened? Anyway, I need legal ad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need legal advice. We go to court for the second time August 14.
Btw, you may ask, why a normal married educated woman with a good life would adopt the child of a hero in addict? I am adopted, I was in foster care. I was adopted by very good decent people. I swore one day to rescue someone like my parents rescued me. I never used drugs or got into trouble of any kind, and graduated from Northeastern U. My pay it forward, kinda backfired, can you help me, give me advice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noticed,mistake, I meant herpin addict. My son's biological Mom was a heroin addict. I adopted him at 4 years old
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
What is the question for us? If you sent the adopted child to live with your sister, you could do so as long as she agrees. Why are you going to court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I paid to get a lawyer call me, I have waited an hour, why no phone call?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I never received any such request.
I apologize but live phone calls, unlike in other sections on, can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by state laws as we do not and cannot represent you in any legal matter. While I am a MA lawyer, I cannot be your lawyer and cannot represent you and since phone calls can be considered representation, we cannot engage in one. I would be happy to continue with you in this forum if you would like to use reply. Thank you for understanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, so I think I understand. If I am to talk to a live lawyer, I must have a question that has nothing to do with the law. Like a question about recording a deed or can my neighbor have half his shed on my property. But no real legal questions over the phone.Did you look at my question? I did have a Lawyer for a month, he was not very good and he did not act in a professional way. I need to find a qualified, nice lawyer with experience to advise me. What advice can you give me regarding my question? How do I find a good Family Lawyer who will act in a professional manner.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
First of all, you misunderstood this service. This service can provide information to customers about their situation to help them understand their options. We cannot provide legal advice or representation.
I did look at your question, it says absolutely nothing about you having a lawyer, it says your sister is a lawyer. It also says absolutely nothing about what you are even in court about. So, as I have no idea of why you are even in court, I cannot tell you much unless you tell me more information.
As far as finding a good local attorney near you, that can be done by using the same sites used by other attorneys, or
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The day he tried to poison my husband, I was afraid. I did not feel safe. My sister was did not react in the way I thought she would. She was very angry I had told her about all the problems I had with my son.
The day my son did this, he put the poison in my husbands drink and then left the house.
He went to a friend's home one street over from our home. The friend answered the knock on the door. The friend asked my son why he had not seen him since Friday (it was a Monday). My son, at that point should have told the truth. I was in Western Massachusetts with my older brother (20years old) and younger sister apple picking, then we went to a fall festival at Umass, my brother's college. INSTEAD. My son tells his neighbor her has been locked in our basement and tied up and beaten. A lie of course. The friend runs to tell his mo that his friend has been tied up in basement. This parent, instead of calling me, drives my son to the police station. The police know my son, because for the prior three months, the police had been helping me find him when he decided to stay out all night with his friends. The police had helped me bring him back home about 6 times. He would tell me he was going to a friends house close by to play basketball, but then a 1 am, he was not home. One of the police officers put him in a room and questioned him, and my son admitted to telling a big lie.
My sister is a Family lawyer, has been for 18 years and she knows all the judges in family law court. She thinks my son did not misbehave at all. I have a mountain of evidence to the contrary. I have tried to tell her what has been going on in our lives, she will not listen to one word.
She wants permanent custody.
My son stole my jewelry and sold it, stole his father's rare baseball cards and sold them, stole his brother's coin collection. Stole his older brother's charity fund raising money, stole my credit cards and used them online to buy porn, stole my personal checking account checks and forged checks. He drank 90% of my alcohol and filled the bottles with water to mask the crime. I do not drink much, so the crime was not discovered for 6 weeks. When I took away his electronics I found he had been sexting 17 different girls (ranging in age from 11 to 15). There was a LOT of sexting.
He is in therapy now.
I want to know how to get him back. That is my question. How do I navigate this crazy system to get him back??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
So she is seeking custody over the boy. Do you have actual evidence of everything you say above that he has done? The courts work off of proof, so that is why I am asking you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But some of this evidence i would like to keep private. I mean...He send 5 and 6 minute videos of himself masterbating to 12 and 13 year old girls. That is sensitive info. Some of the girls sexted back (not all did). Yes, I can prove the check forgery, I can prove he ordered the Playboy channel on cable for himself.
I can't prove he was the one who put the poison in my husband's drink. Nobody saw him do it. But if you think about it. No person who puts poison in another person's drink does so openly, it is done when that person is alone. If a bunch of people are around, then crime can't be committed.
Yes, I can prove everything but who put the poison in that drink. I know it was him. My 8 year old daughter would never do this.
My son is a pathological liar. He also used his facebook to do crazy stuff. on facebook he told a girl he was talking to that his biological brother had died of cancer. Not true at all. He does have a younger biological brother who lives in another part of the state, but he is not ill.
My son told my sister we had abused him. We never did.
When the authorities checked his doctor's records, questioned all his teachers..They found nothing...He had never had a scratch or bruise on him.
He climbed a chain link fence when he was 8 to retrieve a baseball and got his arm caught on a sharp part of the neighbor's fence. The injury almost severed his arm. That is the only injury he has ever had. It was traumatic, and he needed surgery, but we as parents had nothing to do with it.My sister is listening to my son deny all his crimes. She believes him. Which is just nuts.
I have tried several tactics to get through to her.
My 20 year old biological son is the apple of my sister's eye. He has never given me a moment of grief. Honor student, never got into the party scene, hard worker, saves his money, scholarship to UMASS Amherst. He is also a social activist. I am all about social justice and have taught my children to respect all races and all sexual orientations. In his first semester, my son joined "The not ready for bedtime Players" and acting group that focuses on curbing binge drinking, drug use, rape, safe sex and also advocates Gay and lesbian respect and tolerance. This group has gained national recogintion. This activist group is funded by Umass Amherst. What I am saying is my son is a model citizen and a great kid. So, I asked him to speak to her and tell the family story she never knew. She did not believe him either.
She has a lot of connections in Family Court. Yes, I know you can'e give me legal advice. Just tell me what to do. Really point me in a direction.
BTW I am a Paralegal. But my area of the law is real estate. I knew I was not hiring you. I know you are not my lawyer. I need a good decent person to just say where to begin.
The last lawyer took my money and did nothing at the first court appearance. I had detailed notes and talking points for him at our prep meeting. He ignored 95 % of what I said. He was a very old and rude. My friend introduced me to him.
I want my son back. What do i do??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can prove he did what I say he did.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Regardless that you want to keep this information private, you are going to have to raise it in court and ask the judge for a protective order for the information, but the judge will need to see it to prove that what you are stating is true and your sister is not understanding the full information and is getting her story from the child who is playing innocent with her and playing her for a fool.
Actually, if you have any communication ability with your sister at all, you may want to contact her and share copies of the evidence you have of everything he has done including telling her there are videos of him committing sexual acts that you will seek to introduce under seal to the court to prove that your claims are true and that your sister is being lied to. Show her, do not tell her the story, show her the evidence that proves what you are saying so she can see it for herself and not think it is just you making claims against him.
If you show all of that evidence to the court, you would then have to explain to the court why your continued custody is going to be in the best interests of the child as he was acting this way under your supervision and care. You will need the therapist to testify as well about his behavior and why him returning to you would be best for the child. The courts are going to need to hear expert testimony in this type of case, so that is what you need to give them, the therapist explaining the conduct and why being returned to your care and custody would be best for the child.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are very right.
Does this site restrict you from helping me find a decent competent person to represent me? I can't get another dud. Need real help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I have no idea where in MA you even are, so that is why we do not make personal referrals and tell customers to use the same sites used by other attorneys, to find one in your specific area of the state.