How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12359
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My situation is in new york i have paid child support

Customer Question

my situation is in new york i have paid child support for 12 years my son finished high school a year early and went to college this past may he turned 18 and is not going back to college this year he is now working at a full time job ,iwas in the system but worked it out with my ex 5 years ago to be taken out do i still have to pay child support
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. Is there a court order instructing you to pay child support? I'm not sure what you mean by stating that you are no longer in the system. Do you just mean that you make the payments directly to your ex? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I use to to send payment's to child support but she went to court and made the payments directly to her so if I was 2 or 3 payments late I would not get threatening letters from the courts
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. Since there is a court order requiring you to pay child support, then the answer to your question is yes, you must still pay child support. You cannot stop paying child support until and unless the court modifies the order such that you can stop paying, or the payments stop pursuant to a predesignated time or event notated in the order. For example, if the order states that you may immediately stop paying child support when your son turns 18, then you may stop without a further order from the court. But if the order has not predesignated time or event, then you must continue to pay until you get the court to issue an order for you to stop paying child support. If you would like to get such an order, then you would file a motion to modify the prior child support order, and state your reasons (i.e., that your son is over the age of 18 and is emancipated). Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this this was helpful thank you
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using our service, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.