How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In May my fathers son agreed to pay half of our child's

Customer Question

In May my fathers son agreed to pay half of our child's schooling tuition. Our child is 2 and a half and attends the goddard school. It is now July going on August and my fathers son has not paid anything. Can I legally get him to pay the other half? We
have joint legal custody, not physical.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If you enrolled your child in the school based on the father's agreement to pay half, yes, you can legally get him to pay the rest. This is called promissory estoppel. You have the ability to file a Motion for School Tuition, asking the judge to order the father to pay. If you have a written agreement or any writing that acknowledges the agreement, attach it. But even without a writing, if the judge believes he made the promise, and that promise induced you to sign your child up for the school, he has to pay half.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I signed our son up myself (I discussed with father and he approved and agreed) and the father did not go with me when I did this but he later contacted the school himself, visited, and receives email updates so is it still the same that 'yes' I can get him to legally pay his half?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
All of that can be used as evidence that he agreed, yes. And you're also allowed to tell the judge about the conversation the two of you had.

Related Family Law Questions