How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband relinquished parental rights so that I could

Customer Question

My ex-husband relinquished parental rights so that I could become the guardian of our mentally ill adopted adult son. Can my son draw on his father's social security when he retires even though he gave up his parental rights? Our son requires a very expensive licensed personal care home and I'm trying to plan for the future for him. We all live in Texas. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello -
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law issue today.
Unfortunately, no. Severing the parental tie also severs all rights that flow either way. Neither father nor son can benefit from each other based on inheritance. I'm sorry!
I hope this helps.
If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.

Related Family Law Questions