Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex-husband relinquished parental rights so that I could

Customer Question
become the guardian of our...
My ex-husband relinquished parental rights so that I could become the guardian of our mentally ill adopted adult son. Can my son draw on his father's social security when he retires even though he gave up his parental rights? Our son requires a very expensive licensed personal care home and I'm trying to plan for the future for him. We all live in Texas. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/26/2015
Family Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Michael J, Esq.
Hello -
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law issue today.
Unfortunately, no. Severing the parental tie also severs all rights that flow either way. Neither father nor son can benefit from each other based on inheritance. I'm sorry!
I hope this helps.
If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.
Michael
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer