How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11772
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying alimony 40 years. What problems

Customer Question

I have been paying alimony for over 40 years. What problems will I face if I stop paying now? The original marriage lasted less that 14 years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.If you are currently under a court order to pay alimony and you simply stop, you could be brought back to court by your wife, and the judge could hold you in contempt of court. A contempt could entail a fine or even jail time.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
If you believe you are entitled to stop paying alimony, you should file a motion in court asking the judge to modify the order which requires you to pay. If that's granted, then you can stop. But, you cannot simply decide on your own to stop paying if there is a court order in place telling you that you have to.

Related Family Law Questions