How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We currently have custody of our grandson who is 17 years old.

Customer Question

We currently have custody of our grandson who is 17 years old. He has been our custody since 2002. He has become increasingly defiant, lying and stealing from us and others, is currently on probation and was almost expelled from school last year. He has run away numerous times only to be picked up by the County Sherriff and returned home. He has stated, including to his probation officer, that he doesn't want to live with us any longer. What can we do to terminate custody?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Was the custody you presently have approved by the court by appointing you as legal guardian?
2. If so, did that court order come from a CO court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes.
2. Adams Count Court, Brighton, Colorado
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, Thanks for the additional information. Under CO law, the only way that you can terminate legal guardianship of your grandson will be for you to Motion the court for termination. You will need to bring the petition in the Brighton court. While some states have forms for this Motion, I do not find one for CO, and that means that you will need to draft your own. You would be better off having a local family law attorney or probate law attorney do this for you---but if you have more time than money, you can try and do it yourself. Virtually every county has a law library. Ask the law librarian to show you where the books on Pleading and Practice are located. Generally there are many volumes of Pleading and Practice books from which you can pick the proper one for your situation. While the librarian is typically not a lawyer, and cannot practice law, most are quite willing to assist you in locating the chapter in the Pleading and Practice book which you will need. Once you have found the appropriate pleading, you will note that in addition to the sample pleading which contains all of the necessary structure for your Pleading, there may also be suggestions to make your pleading more persuasive. Prepare your pleading in accordance with the suggested format in the book, inserting the facts of your case as you know them to be. Then all you will need to do is to draft the pleading on your computer, print it out and file the original with the court while serving the 17 year old with a copy. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug

Related Family Law Questions