Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

How do I terminate Guardianship of a 16 yr. old Grandson? I have had a lot of serious heal

Customer Question

How do I terminate Guardianship of a 16 yr. old Grandson? I have had a lot of serious health issues since acquiring Guardianship 8 yrs. ago, along with my Husband. Our Grandson has been extremely Defiant, and we've had to call the police on him numerous times. He is seriously affecting my health, as I just got out of the hospital, for the 9th time with pneumonia. This time it became sepsis and I almost died. It has become impossible for my husband and I to get him to mind us and do what we tell him. He cusses us out and smokes pot and goes and comes as he pleases. It's no fun to wake up at midnight to police and dogs at your front door, saying they chased your Grandson to this house. He received all "F's" in school for 10th grade this past year. We live in Clearwater.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your situation. :( Unfortunately, you may not be able to. Because of his young age, the court will most likely require that someone else become his guardian before you are allowed to withdraw. This is because he is still under the age of majority. However, because of the issues he is causing and your health, it MAY be in his best interest to be moved into the custody of the State. So, it really depends on the specific facts and how a Judge sees it. I think you should definitely speak to a local family law attorney about possibly withdrawing as guardian. You also may contact the Youth Court in your area and find out if there are steps to have the State step in because you are not able to provide the proper care, custody, and supervision of the child. I hope this helps! If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied. Michael