Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My sister 77 years old is making decisions that put her in

Customer Question
danger and she will not...
My sister 77 years old is making decisions that put her in danger and she will not listen to warnings from family members?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
My sister is 77 years old and making decisions that put herself in danger & will not listen to warnings from family members; how can we get legal guardianship or something that will enable us to intervene even though she is defiant?
7/24/2015
Family Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Hello there --You would have to convince her to sign a power of attorney document so that someone close to her can handle her most pressing affairs (such as money matters and financial issues)/ and if she is reluctant to sign a power of attorney to get the assistance that she needs, then you do have the option of applying to her local county family court and seeking either full guardian ship over her or partial guardianship over her (there are a range of options that can take place and either you or someone else closer to her will have a choice regarding whether to seek guardianship over her financial affairs or her medical treatments -- any part of her life regarding items that you or her doctors believe that she is having problems managing on her own. You can get the proper forms for an adult guardianship at the clerk's office of her county family court or on line at the CA courts website. You will have to have her doctor on board with this and in agreement that she is not competent to handle her affairs because a doctor assessment is the first thing that the court wants to view on these matters/ Please let me know if you have more questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating below so I will be paid for my time helping you today. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before you leave the website. THANK you very much.
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer