How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her 3 children have lived with me past

Customer Question

My daughter and her 3 children have lived with me for the past 20 months. In the past 3 weeks my daughter has left the house 3 times without telling me or asking me to watch her children. They are 6, 5 and 19 months. I told her she has abandoned her kids. My daughter is in a new relationship with a man. She has a very bad habit of lying to everyone, including her children. She has not left a mark on the kids but is very abusive mentally to them. She has not seen the kids for a week now. I did file a police report. Dakota County Crisis said they can not help me unless I tell her to come take her children because I do not want them. I have asked her to give me temporary custody of the kids but she doesn't want to do that. What can I do to get temporary custody of my grandkids. My phone number is(###) ###-#### Thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am sorry that you are experiencing this situation. You will need to consider going to the court in the county where you live and filing for the guardianship. You can request it on a temporary basis, until there is a full hearing. You should be able to get the forms from the clerk of the court to file on your own, or you can contact legal aid in your area and see if they can help you to get the forms. NOTE that when you file for the guardianship the court will order a background and home evaluation of your home for the children. I suggest you can contact Child Protective Services and tell them you do not want the children removed, but you need custody of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you. ***** need to ask another question. She is asking to take them on Friday, so I have to let her take them. I don't know if she would bring them back.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you. Who is asking to take them - The Mom? If yes, you will need to allow that because you have no court ordered rights.