How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 59 years old living in California. I am about to begin

Customer Question

I am 59 years old living in California. I am about to begin a second divorce, my first wife never worked or had any source of income during the 19 year marriage and was granted "permanent" alimony of $8631 per month in 2002. My second wife and I have been married 9 years and she also was unemployed at the onset of our marriage and has not earned any miney during our marriage. My monthly income has lowered this year to $22,000 per month from $24,000 a month in 2002
The Question(s) I have are:
1. Will there be any modification of alimony to my first wife based on probable new alimony requirements to the second wife?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Unless your first divorce decree language makes the permanent alimony non-modifiable, then you can always go back to the court and seek a modification of support based on a change in financial circumstances. While the drop in income is relatively minor---percentage wise---the new spousal support award will result in a significant change in your financial situation and will be a valid basis for seeking a modification. Finally, do keep in mind that under CA law, marriages of 10 years or more duration are deemed long term marriages and if you want to avoid the big anniversary bomb that you are running up on soon, you need to separate as soon as possible, get the divorce on file so that you can stop the running of the clock on the time of the marriage which is from the date of marriage until the date of separation or filing of suit for divorce---whichever occurs first. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.Doug