How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live' in CA. My ex husband is ordered to pay me alimony

Customer Question

I live' in CA. My ex husband is ordered to pay me alimony payments. In 2014 he only paid me $600 out of the whole year. He is ordered to pay $600. a month. Dose he owe me the money he didn't pay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorneyPA replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you. If your ex-husband is required to make alimony payments pursuant to a Court Order or a Marriage Dissolution Agreement (Settlement Agreement), then absent certain circumstances, you are entitled to seek enforcement of the Order/Agreement and receive your money. If you are in a new relationship and co-habitating with your new partner, that may be grounds for your right to receive alimony to be terminated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Joe, Sorry its taken so long to reply. Yes my ex-husband is court ordered and it is also in our settlement agreement. I am not in a relationship at this time. I live with my mother and take care of her. Is there a statute of limitations on how long I have to seek enforcement? Also would it matter if I used a different attorney?
Thank You, Melissa

Related Family Law Questions