How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The parents of my 2 grand son's are not married however they

Customer Question

The parents of my 2 grand son's are not married however they are still together. Her parents have temporary custody right now through child protective services. I was seeing the boys on a regular basis until the parents robbed our house and now they have told her parents not to allow me to see them. Do I have any way or any rights to see them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, Kim. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. The answer here is a bit unfavorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Generally speaking a guardian has the right to bar access and yes, deny others the ability to see the child. There are two ways to challenge this. First, you can file for guardianship yourself, and reference the thefts as a basis--you can argue that the other grandparents are 'unfit' and should not care for the children. The second option is filing for visitation by claiming that the children have a very strong and viable bond with you and that barring them access to you is not in their best interest. I would suspect that filing for your own guardianship would likely be almost as difficult as visitation so if you choose to file it would likely be better to seek guardianship outright. Sincerely, ***** *****