How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the mother of the children live in upstate NY, but had custody

Customer Question

If the mother of the children live in upstate NY, but had custody of the children until January, and father lives in TN, but filed for divorce 1st, and then was granted temporary custody because the mother could not afford to pay a lawyer and drive to TN. There is a court hearing coming up next week, but the Mom still is unable to afford a lawyer, is she not entitle to legal aid assistance even though she lives out of the state of TN to try to get custody back of her children? I am the Grandmother of the children and also live in NY, and going down with my daughter and in hopes of bringing them back home with us. She has been told that because she does not live in TN, that she can't get legal assistance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Would you mind sharing with me what your question is regarding all of this, so I can provide you with a direct answer.