How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have cusody of my 16 year old son. Our divorce was in texas,

Customer Question

I have cusody of my 16 year old son. Our divorce was in texas, we now live in SC, amd my ex in CO. My son wants to live with his dad. Can i just let him go, or do we have to have it signed off
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.No, you don't HAVE to have a court order, but it's best to do so. You'd need to switch the primary custodial parent from you to the father. Of course, that may obligate you to pay child support to him. But it shouldn't be very difficult for you to do this if everyone agrees as to the custody switch.
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
You'd file in SC to get the custody order switched assuming your child lives (and has lived there) for at least 6 months. You don't have to file in TX. And I wouldn't file in CO. That might obligate you to deal with changes to the order in CO, and if things in the future "went south" in terms of your agreement with the father, it would be more convenient for you to have the order based in SC.
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I looked online for DIY forms, but none are available (that I could find) for SC. This would probably not be expensive for a lawyer to do, since you and the father agree to the switch. Certainly the father should pay for half the attorney fee.
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It appears you're offline now. Please let me know if you need further assistance. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.If you're satisfied with my response(s) above, I hope you'll rate my response positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.Best wishes,Shuband
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I'm writing to follow up on your question. I see you recently viewed my answer, but you didn't issue a rating. If you need clarification about my answer, please ask. Otherwise, please let me know what else I can do, if anything, to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks again for using our service! Customer