How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37850
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have joint custody with my son and I still have to pay $600/month,

Customer Question

I have joint custody with my son and I still have to pay $600/month, is this right or am I just missing something?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Is there a large difference in your respective incomes?.Is the custody exactly equal?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm guessing there is a difference in income and the custody is exactly one week on one week off
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then the two things that the court looks at when making a child support decision are the amount of custodial time, which isn't an issue here, and the parent's respective incomes. If one parent makes more than the other, they will be ordered to pay some amount of support, even if the custody is equal. The more the one parent makes, the more they will have to pay..There is a child support calculator here that you can plug your numbers into to give you an approximation of what it should be..