How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102369
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the respondent in a divorce with kids. My husband makes

Customer Question

I am the respondent in a divorce with kids. My husband makes significantly more than I do. I was a stay at home mom for 3 years and we were married for 3 years. Can I ask him to pay the court fees and am I entitled to any spousal help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature. I am sorry to hear about this situation.Yes, one can ask for interim attorney fees. This may be done via temporary orders. The Court may agree to order the other party to pay for one's attorney fees if it finds that that party controls all the money and otherwise, someone in your situation would not receive a fair hearing due to the control of finances.Yes, one can ask for spousal support, interim (for now) and then then at time of trial (for after the divorce). The factors used by the Court to make a decision are HERE. Good luck.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to get an attorney. Just the initial fees of filing a response and for temporary orders. Because I know when you initially file for divorce, the petitioner can ask for the respondent to pay the court fees but on the respondent paperwork, it does not have a box to check.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. This is not "standard," but may be requested of in temporary orders yes. Even if the form does not have that box, one can ask this of the Court in temporary orders.Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.