How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27214
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** my grandkids have been adopt by my oldest

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** my grandkids have been adopt by my oldest granddaughters grandmother. They were taking from there mother My son was in jal at the time. I have had my grandkids in my life from the time they were new born. I was unable to keep them because my home is a one bedroom house. My son and i have known this lady for 22years. She told my granddaughter that she wanted to help us. She told me and my son.that she would help by taking the kids So that they wouldn't go with someone else we don't that could stay in are life's. Because she knows how much they many to me and my son.she has took them to see there dad and has kept intuch with him. She has written to him and promise him in every letter not to worry that the kids will always be in are levels. She would never take them from us.until one weekend that they came over.she text me and said that they were not allowed to talk to there dad anymore.will because I let them she has stop them from coming over and doset let me talk to them. The only way that i can get to tell them that I love and miss them is throw my granddaughter that was leveling there. What i want to know because she has primes us that they would always be in are life's and the borne that we have.i have all the letters that she has primes us. Can i get my visit with my grandkids like have been every other weekend.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At this point, if she will not voluntarily allow you to see the children, you would have to proceed through the court and ask the Judge to order it. Under California law, a grandparent can ask the court for reasonable visitation with a grandchild. To give a grandparent reasonable visitation with a grandchild, the court has to: Find that there was a pre-existing relationship between grandparent and grandchild that has “engendered a bond.” This means that there is such a bond between grandparent and grandchild that visitation is in best interest of the grandchild. AND Balance the best interest of the child in having visitation with a grandparent with the rights of the parents to make decisions about their child. In general, grandparents cannot file for visitation rights while the grandchild’s parents are married. But there are exceptions, like:The parents are living separately;A parent’s whereabouts are unknown (and have been for at least a month);One of the parents joins the grandparent’s petition for visitation;The child does not live with either of his or her parents; orThe grandchild has been adopted by a stepparent.As such, it would appear based upon what you shared above, that you have grounds to proceed. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions