How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I only learned of my son's birth years after his birth. He

Customer Question

I only learned of my son's birth years after his birth. He shares her family's last name. The mother brought him up on his own without asking or needing my help. Now that he's become a doctor and is 28 , she NOW wants me to sign a form to place me on the birth certificate in retro.
Are there any legal ramifications such as child support if i consent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
It's unlikely that a Judge would order back support now that the child in question is an adult, 28, and you are not currently on the birth certificate and were never adjudicated to be the legal father. Child support is for raising a minor and a Judge is going to want to know why she would just now be coming after you.She may be trying to secure his inheritance rights through you. If you aren't his legal father, then he doesn't technically inherit from you when you pass. The question here is does your son want this? It's not her decision at this point, it's between you and him. She can't force you or him to do this. Also, before you sign anything, you should ask for a DNA test just to be sure.