How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30180
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get custody of my grandchildren from my daughter

Customer Question

How do I get custody of my grandchildren from my daughter who is addicted to drugs and not looking out for the kids
A five year old and twin two year olds
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the children are in danger, you can call Child Services to investigate. Child Services also has the ability to temporarily remove the children from the home if necessary while they make a determination. You can let them know that you are willing to take custody until things are sorted out. Many states prefer to do temporary placement over termination of rights if it's possible that the parent can make positive changes.

The other option is to file a for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights. Note that if the father is in the picture, and the mother's rights are terminated, he usually become the custodial parent, if he IS fit and willing to raise children. The other parent takes priority over other relatives. The state can help with involuntarily termination if they are already involved.

Otherwise, it may be best to hire a local attorney to assist you. These cases are pretty complicated, and most states don't have free forms online you can file. You have to be able to show that your daughter is incapacitated due to the drug use or that the children are neglected or abused. You may at least want to call around to see what it would cost to bring the case. A good place to review lawyers in your area is

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.