How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have an out of control teen (16), She is my wife's

Customer Question

My wife and I have an out of control teen (16), She is my wife's biological daughter. Because of her chronic misbehaving, she have now been placed with her biological father who only lives a few miles away. Since her behavior is worse. She has been reported as a run away now more than 3-5 times. She is using drugs heavily. About two weeks ago, she convinced her 15 y/o sister to sneak out of the window, gave her drugs and offered them to my 13 year old son to keep quiet. She is in a relationship with a 23 year old male from her work place.
We want to file charges against her for these offenses can it be done. To add to the situation she has a long medical record and has been diagnosed with Border line personality disorder. The month of August we plan to have her committed for again, now the 4th time. Her provider is wanting to have her committed for 3-6 months for dialectical behavior therapy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello there ---I am sorry to hear about these issues. You and your wife absolutely have the right to press charges against her for the things she has done involving the younger children, but you will have to contact your local police department and speak with the officers regarding the types of charges that can and should be brought for this behavior of hers. While it may be difficult to get the younger children to actually testify against her in a court proceeding, any such court proceeding would be many months away if she will end up being committed next month in the manner you mention above. And, just making these charges against her and leaving them in a "pending" status may actually give you and your family some leverage against her to gain her cooperation in seeking the treatment that she needs for her disorders. In addition to pending charges, you may even be able to get a temporary restraining order to keep her away from the younger children unless and/or until she completes such treatment. There are a lot of ways that this matter can be handled and eventually, in the end, you will always have the choice of whether or not to press forward with the charges because of your own parental decisions in whether or not you want the younger children to actually testify against her in court (given what you have told me and the current involvement of mental health professionals in her life and in her care, I do not think it will come to them actually having to testify against her in any proceedings but you will certainly have some leverage here if the threat is hanging over her head).I do wish you the best of luck with this. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I am happy to respond. If not, can you please press a positive rating before leaving the website so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing for assisting you unless you press a positive rating. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH -MARY=

Related Family Law Questions