How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37376
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a home before I was married, or even engaged for

Customer Question

I purchased a home before I was married, or even engaged for that matter, and my girlfriend at the time paid for closing and later we were married. She is asking for that closing money back. Is she entitled to that, and if so, wouldn't that be a civil matter and not a divorce matter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If she paid for the closing costs without any type of agreement regarding repayment, then this would be considered to be a gift on her part and you would have no legal obligation to repay her.
If there was an agreement for you to pay her back, then since you weren't married at the time, yes, this would be a civil matter for breach of contract that may or may not be enforceable now depending on how long it had been since the promise to repay was made.
If it has been over 4 years, then in GA if this was an oral agreement, it would be unenforceable as beyond the statute of limitations.

Related Family Law Questions