How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is my wife and I would like to get custody of our

Customer Question

My question is my wife and I would like to get custody of our grand daughter.
Reason is the parents are not doing what they are supposed to doing as parents. Parents I believe have separated due to mother doing drugs around the children. Mother has been caught for theft from her of credit cards and other items from her parents. The mother of my daughter in law has contacted me to notify me that she had notified sheriffs dept. of the theft and notified her lawyer to get custody back of the 7 year old boy with special needs.
Other part to this is the father my step son has taken custody of the 4 year old girl. The father has contacted me on a few occasions in a drunken state yelling and cursing. The last couple of times he has had to deal with law enforcement and being locked up for being drunk in public and trespassing.
I know that he has been evicted from his trailer and has dragged his daughter to 4 different homes of other people within this year.
My grand daughter has been with my wife and I for the past six weeks. Things we noticed are when people knock or ring the door bell she runs through the house screaming cops. When she sleeps at night she has night terrors waking us up and telling us not to let the cops in.
How do I go about getting custody of this child for her to have a normal child hood?
My e-mail is***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Do you think the parents will voluntarily sign over custody?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe they might
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is hard to say what they will do on a day to day basis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris are you still there
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
The easiest thing would be for them to sign over full power of attorney to you. This would allow you to make decisions on behalf of your grandchildren. The downside, however, is that they can revoke the power of attorney whenver they want. If you want a more permenant solution, you would need the parents to either ask a court to appoint you guardian of the children or for them to relinquish parental rights to you. The power of attorney option is the easiest because it only entails signing a few documents and you are set. The other two options require that you go to court, which can be expensive and time consuming. How you approach this largely depends on your goals and what the parents are willing to do.

Related Family Law Questions