originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My daughter is 15 and having issues with her boyfriends father

Customer Question

My daughter is 15 and having issues with her boyfriends father and stepmother, they are trying to force her to tell her father something she doesnt want to tell him. This is the second time they have done this to her and they keep telling her she wont be allowed to date their son unless she does this.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello: If the boyfriend is a minor, then his parents can limit who he associates with. In other words, your daughter doesn't have to tell anybody anything, but also, they are within their rights to tell her boyfriend he can't associate with her if she doesn't. If they continued to harass her after she breaks off the relationship, you could get a restraining order on her behalf against them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So they can just keep forcing her to do what they want even if it hurts her, if they just threaten and tell her that she cant see him anymore? That seems so wrong. :( They tried to force her to get a blood test last month when she is terrified of needles and had a panic attack because of it. It just seems like abuse on their part forcing her to do what they want like that.
The only way to stop them would be to not be around them. If you got a restraining order against them it wouldn't apply to their son, so she could still see him.But if the parents don't want him to associate with her, there's nothing you can do about that. It's up to you to decide what's in your daughter's best interest, but it sounds like they are people that might not be good for her to be involved with, despite how much she likes their son.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree with you, her boyfriend is wonderful but if she has to deal with them all the time I dont even want to think about what they could do her next. :(
It sounds like an awful situation. I'm sorry that she's dealing with it!